Tuesday, July 13, 2004

U.S.: Life in the American Mid-West

Well, here in the Mid-West, it's hot enough to bake a cake just by standing it outside. Shade or no-shade, same difference. It's just plain ol' hot!

So, here I am, sitting at my table, observing the proprieties by wearing the barest minimum cuz I've got neighbors who can see in my window. Some people like curtains, I don't. Not a curtain in this house.

Anyway, I'm sitting here, working, trying to kick back with a long-necked Shiner Bock. Not my favorite, but when you buy it, you drink it. Shiner Bock and chocolate chip cookies was today's menu. Heck, it's too hot to cook. When I do get around to cooking, though, I've got all the ingredients for a Ghanaian dish that an old boyfriend taught me. I wonder where Akwasi Agyare is today? The dude could cook, and he played a mean game of owarri.

I could close all the windows and turn on the AC. The house does have central air. But, I'm a Caribbean woman. After spending all winter closed up in a house, I'm not willing to do the same during the summer. Besides, the heat and humidity help to replace all the elasticity that winter and its dryness takes out of the skin. So, it's a happy sweat.

The site design is kicking my butt, but Shiner Bock (wish it were a Schlafly's Scotch Ale or a Stag) is making the hassle bearable.

I'll blog heavy news in a couple of hours. Meantime, I'll kick back, enjoy the brew, and sweat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home