Friday, June 25, 2004

Gya: Dogs didn't bark as death squad informant Bacchus murdered in his bed

POLICE have held four persons in connection with the murder yesterday of self-confessed 'death squad’ informant, George Bacchus, 51.

Bacchus was shot dead in his bed at his Princes Street, Lodge, Georgetown home in what seemed to be a well-planned pre-dawn execution.

Police said he was shot in the head and body.

According to neighbour and Clerical and Commercial Workers Union (CCWU) employee, Mr. Keith Burrowes, he was just about to retire to bed when he heard about four or five shots. This was at approximately 02:46 hrs.

Burrowes said he first checked on his wife and young daughter and about 10 minutes later, heard a call for assistance coming from the direction of Bacchus’ residence.

He said he went out to see what the matter was and was asked by Bacchus’ nephew and two of the family’s helpers who reside in the building to call the police.

Burrowes said that no one responded to a 911 call, while the ambulance service said that there was no vehicle available.

He eventually got through to the police Impact Base where information was taken. The police arrived on the scene about 15 to 20 minutes later.
Burrowes said that at no time did he hear any vehicle or any other sounds of movement subsequent to hearing the gunshots. Neither did any of the residents at the scene yesterday morning.

He said that it was hard to conceive of anybody getting easy access to the Bacchus residence because of the numerous floodlights on the property.

Another mystery surrounding Bacchus’ death is the fact that several dogs belonging to the family did not bark, leading to speculation by some residents that the killer or killers might have been well-known to the family.

At the scene yesterday morning, Crime Chief Henry Greene said that Bacchus was shot three times – once each in the face, chest and thigh – as he slept in his bed in a room on the second floor of the family’s three-storey building
Bacchus claimed he was the key informant for the 'Phantom Squad’, an alleged group of 'for-hire’ vigilantes who he charged was responsible for the murder of close to 40 men, many of whom were wanted by the police.

Bacchus accused Home Affairs Minister, Mr. Ronald Gajraj of starting the death squad in the wake of the 2002-2003 crime spree, a charge that the minister dismissed as “mere allegations” and without merit.

Bacchus further claimed that he was key informant for the group until the hit men began to target individuals unconnected with any crime.

He said that when he began to speak out, the men threatened to turn their guns on him.

He fingered three men – Ashton King, Shawn Hinds and Mark `Kezorkee’ Thomas – in the killing of his brother. All three were arrested but Thomas died after suddenly falling ill after his arrest.
Sounds like somebody well known to Bacchus, either a family or friend, whacked him. That is the the most likely reason why the dogs didn't bark.

Is Home Affairs Minister Ronald Gajraj breathing a sigh of relief?


Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home